Saturday, December 2, 2023

Here I am (Christie) (LP 2104 - 2105)

Christie  Christie (Vinyl, CBS Records, 1970) ****  

Christie  For All Mankind (Vinyl, CBS Records, 1971) *** 

Genre: Pop/ rock

Places I remember: Vinyl Countdown (New Plymouth)

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Yellow River

Gear costume: My Baby's Gone (For All Mankind)

Active compensatory factors
: I have written about my history with Yellow River before. Its power is undiminished.

The video on that previous post is here, plus the band on a nicer river here. There's also a cool live version here.

What I didn't mention on that post was how I first heard the song and the album. 

I had started at Manukau Intermediate in 1969 and was in my second year (standard 2) in 1970 when the song came out. It was an instant hit (it went to #2 in NZ) and I was aware of it from the radio when I stopped off at a friend's house one day on the way to school. 

He had a little portable record player and the Christie album. It  probably belonged to older siblings, but I was instantly smitten by the bright yellow cover with its stained glass style photo display.

The first album is a bit overshadowed by the splendor of the two hits but the rest is still quality power pop. Jeff Christie's distinctive vocals are the key strength.

Album number two, For All Mankind, leans more towards nascent Americana or country rock and has some bright moments. It's certainly worth a listen.

Where do they all belong? Those two albums are all the band Christie delivered but the search for all remaining Christie product remains. Notably, No Turn Unstoned - a compilation from 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment