Saturday, December 30, 2023

All of me (Lee Kontiz) (LP 2227 -2228)

Lee Konitz  Very Cool (Vinyl, Not Now Music, originally on Verve 1957) ****  

Lee Konitz  Motion (Vinyl, Not Now Music, originally on Verve 1961) ****  

GenreJazz 

Places I remember: The Warehouse

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: All Of Me

Gear costume: I Remember You

Active compensatory factors
: I am not that familiar with alto saxophonist Lee Konitz's work. These are the only albums I own by him. 

They came on a two disc CD set - I took a punt on it because I love the alto sax sound and the presence of Elvin Jones on Motion grabbed my attention.

Elvin Jones has freakish talents on the drums so I knew that was going to be worth investigating. Sure enough - he raises the bar. All Of Me is a standout - Lee is fluid and his tone is smooth, Elvin sounds possessed - he's all other the kit and even has a solo mid-way through it to great effect. Sonny Dallas on bass is also terrific. They gell well as a trio. 

Very Cool is also of high quality. So much great music came out in my birth year. This one has Lee's alto sax joined with piano and trumpet. It sounds great to me! 

Where do they all belong? An excellent addition to the jazz catalogue. Next up is Jackie Mclean in the jazz section.

No comments:

Post a Comment