Monday, December 25, 2023

Natty never get weary (Dean Fraser) (LP 2206)

Dean Fraser  Big Up! (CD, Island Jamaica Jazz Records, 1997) ***  

GenreJazz 

Places I remember: Shona Walding collection

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Dick Tracy

Gear costume: Big Up - Armageddon Time

Active compensatory factors: I kept this one from Shona's collection. It's a breezy, sun drenched reggae style jazz outing from Dean Fraser.

Although this title is not acknowledged in their discography, Dean Fraser, according to Wikipedia, has contributed to hundreds of reggae recordings since the mid-seventies, and who am I to argue.

His sax sound is a solid fit for the reggae genre and each of the instrumentals on offer here is pleasant and easy to engage with (that reggae beat!!).

Where do they all belong? A one off - Jamaica jazz! 

BTW - you may be wondering why I've shifted from the C's (David Crosby) to this one: although I collapsed nearly all the genres into an alphabetical list, I retained Jazz/ Jazz fusion as separate genres to pop/rock plus this also goes for the three music labels I collect (Apple, Dark Horse, Grunt), so coming up next will be albums in those categories before I eventually return to Crosby/Nash collaborations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment