Saturday, December 16, 2023

Fingers (Jimmy Smith) (LP 2132)

Jimmy Smith   The Boss (Vinyl, Verve Records, 1968) ***   

GenreJazz 

Places I remember: Inherited from my dad's collection.

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: The Boss

Gear costume: This Guy's In Love With You 

Active compensatory factors: Because it was in dad's pile of records, I have been aware of this album forever.

Growing up as a Beatle nut, the soul jazz organ stylings of Jimmy Smith always seemed part of an older generation. Funny that this came out in the same year as the White Album!

Back then, I used to gaze at the cover, more that listen to the music. When I did listen to it, I liked the Hammond B3 organ sound.

Weirdly, there's something quite human about the sound. And it's cool too.

George Benson adds the tasteful guitar lines that go so well with that organ sound.

I can appreciate this album a lot more these days!

Where do they all belong? He was extremely prolific, but this live album was the only one dad owned. I'd love to know his reasons for acquiring it.

No comments:

Post a Comment