Friday, December 29, 2023

Free rain (One) (LP 2223)

One  Come (Vinyl, Grunt Records, 1974) ***

GenreGrunt Records 

Places I remember: M

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: 3 Songs (not available on Spotify or YouTube)

Gear costume: Free Rain (not available on Spotify or YouTube)

Active compensatory factors: I had been after this for a loooong time when I stumbled upon a copy in a record store in Santa Monica while visiting my daughter and her partner who live in LA.

I had all the rest of the Grunt Records catalogue except this one and so I was thrilled to find it.

It's weird in the extreme, and not easy to pin down genre wise. There are folk elements (acoustic guitar, dulcimer), some prog touches (the flute), some easy listening aspects (the female choir), some jazz moves (piano), and some definite world music leanings (sitar). It's even ambient/drone like in parts, and pop/rock hints at others. 

As I said - weird. But it's gentle, hippy weird, rather than atonal free jazz weird.

I think the link to Jefferson Airplane comes via Paul and Grace (some of it is recorded at their place).

Where do they all belong? A one-off (sorry).

No comments:

Post a Comment