Monday, December 11, 2023

St Louis Blues (Thad Jones Mel Lewis) (LP 2121)

Thad Jones, Mel Lewis Jazz Orchestra   Monday Night (Vinyl, Solid State Records, 1968) ****  

GenreJazz 

Places I remember: The Little Red Bookstore

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: St Louis Blues

Gear costume: The Second Race

Active compensatory factors: The twelve minute version of St Louis Blues is what sold me on this one, plus the $15 price tag and mint condition. Someone looked after this one and it was only right that I gave it a good home.

The horn blasts from this big band nearly knocked me off my feet. Four musicians on saxes alone!

Some sweet trumpet from Snooky Young and James Notingham ensured that my wife would hate this record!

Where do they all belong? A nice addition to the big band section of my jazz collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment