Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Rediscovery (Chicago ) (LP 2164 - 2166)

Chicago  Chicago VI (CD, Warner Bros. Records, 1973) ***

Chicago  Chicago VII (CD, Warner Bros. Records, 1974) ****  

Chicago  Chicago VIII (CD, Warner Bros. Records, 1973) **   

Genre: Jazz rock; pop rock 

Places I remember: Fopp

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Just You 'N' Me (Chicago VI)

Gear costume: What's This World Comin' To , Feelin' Stronger Every Day (Chicago VI); Wishing You Were Here (Chicago VII) 

Active compensatory factors
: I kind of lost track of Chicago after that first album, but the appeal of Chicago albums remains. I'm a sucker for that jazz rock sound.

Curiously, unlike with Blood Sweat and Tears, I haven't had the desire/need to own all of their albums. I think it's the relatively quick journey into schmaltzy pop songs that made the difference. BS and T have pursued that jazz fusion route more consistently for my money.

Instead, I tend to pick up things like this - a triple album multi-pack collection, which I bought on sale at Fopp. These multi-packs are great value for money!

And so, to Chicago VI. There are pop sensibilities present fersure, and yet they can still produce something more progressive like What's This World Comin' to.

Chicago VII continued the blueprint of a couple of hits along with the jazz rock moves. Wishing You Were Here has those great great Beach Boy Harmonies and (I've Been) Searching So Long has another great pop hook.

Generally, I like the mix of pop ballads and jazz rock (espesh on VII) but, also generally, they headed too much away from their roots for me to be a slavish fanatic. No denying their pop smarts though.

By Chicago VIII the heavy touring was having an effect and while it's an okay rock album, there was only Old Days that would make a highlights reel.

Where do they all belong? A lot of Chicago product to catch up on if I ever have the mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment