Tuesday, December 26, 2023

On Green Dolphin Street (Pete Jolly) (LP 2208)

Pete Jolly  Impossible (Vinyl, MGM Records, 1959?) *** 

GenreJazz  

Places I remember: A five dollar purchase from the Little Red Bookstore.

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: On Green Dolphin Street

Gear costume: Russian Lullaby 

Active compensatory factors: I love a bargain. This was a punt but for $5 not much of one really.

Pete Jolly is on piano and Ralph Pena on bass - that combo alone is pretty cool and unusual I'd have thought. Apparently Jolly is well known for TV and movie soundtracks but this is a lovely series of expressive songs between the two musicians. Very much of its time - my parents would have loved this!

Anyway, someone bought this about 60 years ago in New Zealand and looked after it well. Now it's my turn.

BTW - I thought I'd take this photo of the label - I love old labels like this and the 'Unbreakable' tag made me smile. 

It's also super heavy vinyl - they knew how to make quality records back in the fifties in New Zealand!

Where do they all belong? A one off but still sounds great on a summer's day (and evening with a cocktail).

No comments:

Post a Comment