Friday, December 29, 2023

I got my mojo working (Muddy Waters) (LP 2210)

Alexis Korner's Blues Incorporated  R&B from The Marquee (Vinyl, Ace of Clubs Records, 1962, reissue 2016) *****  

Genre: Blues; R&B

Places I remember: JB Hi-Fi

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: I Got My Mojo Working

Gear costume: Spooky But Nice

Active compensatory factors: I saw this in JB's recently and did a quick search on my phone in the store - 5 stars from All Music!! Oh yeah!

In these days of high priced vinyl, $25 is a bargain and given that if I ever found a copy of this secondhand, the chances are it would be a mess, I decided to go for it.

As it is, this pristine new copy reveals a hot, dynamic ensemble, in thrall to Muddy Waters and Willie Dixon, firing on all cylinders. Clearly, they'd been listening to Muddy Live at Newport, and given the Brits couldn't access the real thing, Alexis Korner et al provided a wonderful substitute.

Cyril Davies (looking like a friendly bank manager) is the star of the show - spirited vocals and gob iron. Sadly, he would pass away two years later.

Where do they all belong? A great find - straight to the A's.

No comments:

Post a Comment