Friday, December 29, 2023

The Surrey with the fringe on top (Tubby Hayes) (LP 2220 - 2222)

The Jazz Couriers  In Concert: The Jazz Couriers (CD, Avid Jazz Records, 1958) *****  

The Jazz Couriers  The Couriers of Jazz (CD, Avid Jazz Records, 1959) *****  

The Tubby Hayes Quartet  Tubby's Groove (CD, Avid Jazz Records, 1959) *****  

GenreJazz 

Places I remember: Ray's Jazz (in Foyles Bookstore, London)

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: The Serpent

Gear costume: Cheek To Cheek

Active compensatory factors
: I'm not quite sure how I became clued into Tubby Hayes. I must have read about him somewhere - probably in Mojo Magazine (I find a lot of great undiscovered by me talent this way).

Anyway, Tubby Hayes was on my list when I went into Foyles on Charing Cross Road and approached Ray's Jazz corner which is off to the side of the music book aisles. 

Lo and behold - a Three Classic Albums Plus CD under the 'Tubby Hayes featuring Ronnie Scott' banner headline.

What a revelation when I got home to Caterham and put it on. Amazing.

That first selection makes me feel like I'm in a dim smokey soho jazz club in 1959 (I was aged 2 at the time but I have a fertile imagination).

The mono sound is appropriately cluttered and the (hilarious) stage announcements are discernible if the speaker is close to the mic. I love it!!

No duds, no bad moves as Tubby lets rip across these three albums. This is a glorious noise!!

Where do they all belong? I'll continue to search for Tubby Hayes' records but they are pretty scarce.

No comments:

Post a Comment