Saturday, December 2, 2023

Tight rope (Leon Russell) (LP 2110)

Leon Russell  Signature Songs (Vinyl, Dark Horse Records, 2023) ****  

GenreDark Horse Records, pop/rock 

Places I remember: JB Hi-Fi

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Tight Rope

Gear costume: Magic Mirror

Active compensatory factors: I wasn't sure what to expect from this album. On the surface it sounded like a compilation album, but I was pleasantly surprised to hear that it's Leon's re-recording of some important songs in his catalogue. 

It was originally released in 2001 on his own label and now Dhani has re-released the re-recording on the Dark Horse label.

Luckily, I'm a big Leon Russell fan, so I would have bought this anyway if I'd come across it. I especially like how it strips the songs down to pretty much just Leon on the piano and vocals. By 2001 he was sounding a little rough but that familiar Tulsa sound shines through even more without the extra instrumentation.

Where do they all belong? Another new Dark Horse album to come, this time a 2023 recording by Yusef/Cat Stevens, rather than a reissue.

No comments:

Post a Comment