Saturday, December 30, 2023

All nights, all days (Yusef/Cat Stevens) (LP 2225)

Yusef/ Cat Stevens  King Of A Land (Vinyl, Dark Horse Records/ Cat O Log Records, 2023) ***  

GenrePop rock, Dark Horse Records, children's music

Places I remember: JB Hi Fi

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Highness

Gear costume: King Of A Land

Active compensatory factors: I must admit to a tinge of disappointment with this record. While reading a review of it in Mojo Magazine, I noticed it came out via Dhani Harrison's rebuilt Dark Horse Records.

So, I needed a copy. When it arrived the record's label is a bespoke one with an illustration used instead of the familiar Dark Horse icon. I get that this is partly a kid's record (as you can tell from the cover) but still, c'mon.

The theme/message of peace and light are well conveyed in the music and there is no doubting Yusef's sincerity, but I'm not sure how many times I'll play this in the future, compared to say, Tea For The Tillerman.

Having noted that, it's still a lovely sounding record (nice to see Bruce Lynch still appearing with Yusef - I admire that kind of loyalty), and Yusef/Cat still sounds great vocally.

Where do they all belong? More Cat Stevens on the way when we get to the S's.

No comments:

Post a Comment