Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Patchwork quilts (Allan Clarke) (LP 2113)

Allan Clarke   My Real Name Is 'Arold (Vinyl, RCA Records, 1972) ***  

Genrepop/rock 

Places I remember: Vinyl Countdown (New Plymouth)

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Ruby

Gear costume: Patchwork Quilts

Active compensatory factors: I'm a big fan of The Hollies and I really like Allan Clarke's vocal delivery, but this is the only solo album that I own of his.

He's left and rejoined The Hollies a lot in their history and it's clear why - he is suited to their singular harmony approach and struggles a bit on his own.

There's nothing bad about this first solo album, it just never catches fire.

By the way: I fail to get the significance of the cover (by Hipgnosis). His T shirt slowly reveals him emerging from a lake, fully clothed. The back cover is him standing there wet and yet to exit the water.

So, uh, wots the deal? He's emerging all wet from the water. I struggle to see this as a baptism metaphor. He doesn't look happy or joyful. He's wearing what looks like an empty gun holster on the front cover photos. Again...what? 

Then there's the album title. Yes, his first name is Harold, second name is Allan - so, also his real name, right? The cockney 'Arold seems daft too. He's a Mancunian - born in Salford for goodness sake. All a bit weird and not really Allan to my mind. He must have signed off on it though.

Where do they all belong? He was to return to the Hollies after this album, so I guess he got it off his chest momentarily.

No comments:

Post a Comment