Monday, August 9, 2021

Pump it up (Elvis Costello) (LP 656)

Elvis Costello and The Attractions  This Year's Model (CD, Hip O Records, 1978) **** 

GenrePunk/ Post Punk 

Places I remember: JB Hi Fi (Palmerston North)

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea

Gear costume: Pump It Up

Active compensatory factors: I am not a huge Elvis fan - there's only this, and the Armed Forces and Spike records in my collection. Spike for the McCartney link, Armed Forces was given to me by a shop girl at Marbecks Records, and so This Year's Model is the only Elvis album I've bought for it's own sake.

Elvis' second album, and first with The Attractions, is an adrenaline rush of post punk enthusiasm: No Action; Radio Radio (this re-released CD edition includes it); Pump It Up; and Lipstick Vogue are all hard and fast post punk, rock'n'roll blasts. No difficult second album syndrome at play here.

Nick Lowe was the perfect producer for this 1978 collection of songs. He provides the pop sheen that I love.

Where do they all belong? As stated - Armed Forces and Spike to come when we roll around to the vinyl side of my collection again.

No comments:

Post a Comment