Saturday, August 14, 2021

Close your eyes (Beachwood Sparks) (LP 659)

Beachwood Sparks  Once We Were Trees (CD, Sub Pop, 2001) ***

GenreCalifornian sunshine pop 

Places I remember: An old music shop in Taupo - bought while on holiday. Sadly, the shop is no more.

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: By Your Side

Gear costume: The Hustler

Active compensatory factors: I have this in the Californian sunshine pop genre (next up the Beach Boys) and I think that's about right. If you look them up on wikipedia they are labelled as alt-country but there are more Mamas and Papas links here than there are links to Ryan Adams so I'll stick with my choice.

There is a Van Dyke Parksian pop brightness about the jaunty music and harmony vocals in the Beachwood Sparks that appeals to me. 

If you have a listen to Orange Crate Art next to this you'll see what I mean.

Where do they all belong? As stated, next up in this genre - The Beach Boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment