Monday, August 23, 2021

Lights out San Francisco (Craig Chaquico) (LP 669)

Craig Chaquico  Once In A Blue Universe (CD, Higher Octave Music, 1997) *** 

GenreSan Francisco music

Places I remember: Real Groovy Records

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Dreamcatcher

Gear costume: Oceans Apart

Active compensatory factors: Craig Chaquico is best known for his lead guitar prowess with Jefferson Starship and Starship, but since 1993 he's been a solo artist employing a very different style.

This one is probably classified more as jazz than rock (and it's not jazz rock) given the acoustic instrumentals and co-players like John Klemmer on sax.

It's okay for what it is but, honestly, without the Starship connection I wouldn't have bothered. That sounds harsh but I would guess that there are plenty of musicians playing this kind of music on Spotify.

Having said that, Dreamcatcher hits a gnarly bass driven groove and builds nicely through to the sax solo.
 
Where do they all belong? If I came across other CDs by Craig in the CD sale bin I'd certainly pick them up but I won't be chasing them down necessarily.

No comments:

Post a Comment