Saturday, August 28, 2021

No one knows my name (Gillian Welch) (LP 677)

Gillian Welch  Soul Journey (CD, Acony Records, 2003) *** 

GenreCountry/ Americana/ Folk

Places I remember: JB HiFi (sale bins)

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Look At Miss Ohio

Gear costume: Make Me A Pallet On You Floor

Active compensatory factors: I took a punt on this, having a vague feeling that I'd read favourable reviews of her work with David Rawlings previously.

The songs and the laid back acoustic instruments appeal, but I'm not about to chase down the back catalogue.

The live versions above give a great idea about the couple's strengths.

Where do they all belong? It's in my country genre because I needed to put it somewhere and the use of dobro and fiddle suggests country, but really it could as easily gone in the folk section as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment