Saturday, August 28, 2021

Gravy train (Lou Donaldson) (LP 678)

Lou Donaldson  Gravy Train (CD, Blue Note, 1961) **** 

GenreJazz

Places I remember: Kings Recording (Abu Dhabi)

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Gravy Train

Gear costume: South Of The Border 

Active compensatory factors: I managed to pick this up at my favourite CD store in Abu Dhabi. 

Kings Recording had a great selection generally, but in particular they had a lot of CDs on the Blue Note label.

I got this one on a hunch based on the label - Blue Note has great quality control, and the fact that Lou plays alto saxophone with a simple piano/bass/drums combo.

It was a good hunch as Lou and the boys play jazz with a soulful touch. The two featured tracks being fine examples.

Where do they all belong? The only Lou Donaldson album I own. It slots into the jazz category nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment