Paul Weller 22 Dreams (CD, Island Records, 2008) ****
Paul Weller Wake the Nation (CD, Island Records, 2010) ***
Paul Weller Sonik Kicks (CD, Island Records, 2012) ****
Paul Weller A Kind Revolution (CD, Parlophone Records, 2017) ****
Paul Weller True Meanings (CD, Parlophone Records, 2018) ****
Genre: Indie rock
Places I remember: Kings Recording, Charity shops in Caterham, JB Hi Fi
Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Cold Moments (22 Dreams)
Gear costume: No Tears To Cry (Wake the Nation), Satellite Kid (A Kind Revolution)
Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Cold Moments (22 Dreams)
Gear costume: No Tears To Cry (Wake the Nation), Satellite Kid (A Kind Revolution)
They loom large in his legend (The Album Collection playlists): Part 1; Part 2; Part 3; Part 4; Part 5; Part 6; Part 7; Part 8
Active compensatory factors: I only have a smattering of his albums with The Jam and Style Council, but quite a few of his solo albums from 22 Dreams onwards. That's thanks to perusing the CD racks at a few of the charity shops in Caterham when we lived there.
Active compensatory factors: I only have a smattering of his albums with The Jam and Style Council, but quite a few of his solo albums from 22 Dreams onwards. That's thanks to perusing the CD racks at a few of the charity shops in Caterham when we lived there.
CDs were out of fashion in the late 2000's so there were loads of good CDs going for a pound each. I bought the bulk of these Paul Weller albums that way.
I had bought 22 Dreams from my favourite CD shop in Abu Dhabi because of a stonking good review that I'd read in Mojo magazine. I loved the cover, the idea of 22 dreams in song form and the experimentation hinted at in the review. Sounded vaguely like a double album a la The Beatles.
It's certainly an eclectic collection and for the most part I enjoy the variety of songs on offer. Unlike the Fabs, Paul's voice is the consistent element to these 22 songs which encompass, rock, pop, electronica, soul, and jazz styles. Being a double album makes it ripe for further listens and exploration.
Wake the Nation came after 22 Dreams. It was a much more in-yer-face effort with Weller delivering his vocals with full on commitment.
He still uses different styles for effect. I particularly like the Motown-ish No Tears To Cry and the sixties psych drama of Andromeda. Barking mad, but great! Not all of it works (Trees is a mess), but, like 22 Dreams, it's always intriguing.
Sonik Kicks came after Wake the Nation. It's another eclectic set of styles. It starts with a hiss and a roar and rarely lets up with the intensity. There is a lull for some psychedelic folk musing but generally it's a lush sound bed that Weller delivers on Sonik Kicks. His album titles are certainly accurate descriptors for the songs and sounds he delivers.
A Kind Revolution is an album that covers more mainstream pop territory, and I like it a lot for that very reason. It covers gentler ground than those last two albums and feels warm and cozy as a result. I particularly like Satellite Kid with its extended workout.
True Meanings is the final album on my list. It's a real change in pace for the sonic adventurer of Wake The Nation and Sonik Kicks. This time it's a pastoral, acoustic approach that really pays off. It certainly presents Weller in a more reflective, mellow mood (but not laid back!) It's about the only album here that I would recommend for the WTWMC album of the week.
Where do they all belong? He's prolific, but I don't live in England anymore, so I can't scoop up any further albums on the cheap. This will have to suffice.




No comments:
Post a Comment