Monday, December 11, 2023

Behind the lines (Phil Collins) (LP 2118)

Phil Collins   Face Value (Vinyl, Atlantic Records, 1981) ****  

GenrePop rock 

Places I remember: JB Hi-Fi. My copy is the 2015 reissue.

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: I Missed Again

Gear costume: Hand In Hand

Active compensatory factors: The big hit was of course, In The Air Tonight, and it got this debut solo album off to a great start. He ends with a nice trippy version of Lennon's Tomorrow Never Knows, so it's a neat package.

In between those two peaks he gives hints of where he was heading with I Missed Again and there isn't a dud to be found elsewhere.

Interesting, too, that I can't hear anything Genesis-y or Brand X-y among the songs. Not a prog or jazz fusion note or song to be found here as he made a bold statement away from his day job.

Where do they all belong? A stand alone in my collection. I like Genesis, with Peter Gabriel and early doors with Phil on vocals, but I just can't enjoy his solo success with him. Too calculated? Probably a tad harsh. But he went mega with the pop songs so who am I? I just don't need to buy the albums. Face Value though, yes - that's a good'un.

No comments:

Post a Comment