Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble Soul to Soul (CD, Epic Records, 1985) ****
Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble In Step (CD, Epic Records, 1989) *****
Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble The Sky Is Crying (CD, Epic Records, 1991) ***
Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble Spectrum, Philadelphia 23rd May 1988 (CD, Echoes Records, 2015) ****
Genre: Blues rock
Places I remember: Hope Collection
Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Come On, (Part III)
Gear costume: Travis Walk (In Step)
Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Come On, (Part III)
Gear costume: Travis Walk (In Step)
They loom large in his legend (The Album Collection playlists): Part 1; Part 2; Part 3; Part 4; Part 5; Part 6; Part 7; Part 8
Active compensatory factors: I've previously reviewed his first two albums - Texas Flood and Couldn't Stand The Weather. On reflection I was a bit stingy with a four-star rating on his second album in particular. Listening to it again, it's clearly a peak. This post wraps up the other albums I have by him, all on CD.
Active compensatory factors: I've previously reviewed his first two albums - Texas Flood and Couldn't Stand The Weather. On reflection I was a bit stingy with a four-star rating on his second album in particular. Listening to it again, it's clearly a peak. This post wraps up the other albums I have by him, all on CD.
Soul to Soul was his third studio album. Double Trouble is expanded to include keyboards and sax so it enters into a hybrid soul blues territory. It's not as consistently brilliant as Couldn't Stand the Weather and I bypassed it back in 1985. I'm glad to have a copy now though.
This CD copy has a brilliant bonus section with an interview and then a 13 minute version of Little Wing/Third Stones from the Sun which is mind blowing. A version of Little Wing would appear on The Sky Is Crying but this one is much better.
In Step is a superb album. Stevie Ray is at his peak here with the album showing all of his various talents. Having become sober he is locked in and the guitar tones are amazing in their depth and feel. There are no weak areas and the guitar playing is simply breathtaking.
The Sky Is Crying is an odds and ends compilation album put together after SRV's death in 1990. The album features ten previously unreleased tracks recorded between 1984 and 1989. As with most of these kind of things the quality fluctuates and while it's certainly a nice to have, it's not an essential album.
The only live album I have is the Spectrum gig from 1988. It's a radio broadcast but of superior quality to those kinds of live products. As it's from a 1988 gig, it includes material from his first three studio albums. SRV is in fine form and these versions are damn fine! Highlights are live versions of Cold Shot and Voodoo Chile.
Where do they all belong? What a sad outcome for such a talent. Luckily, he'll live on via these recordings.




No comments:
Post a Comment