Sunday, August 23, 2026

Rosebud (Tys Van Leer) (LP 4787)

Tys Van Leer  Nice To have Met You (Vinyl, CBS Records, 1978) ***  

Genre: Prog rock 

Places I remember: Real Groovy Records

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Hocus Pocus (not on platforms)

Gear costume: Nice to Have Met You (YouTube)

They loom large in his legend (The Album Collection playlists): Part 1; Part 2; Part 3; Part 4; Part 5; Part 6; Part 7; Part 8

Active compensatory factors: Somewhere along the line Thijs Van Leer became Tys Van Leer. Same guy who was the organist and flautist in Focus (my reviews of their albums are here).

At one point I had a lot more of his solo albums, but that is now whittled down to just this one. I suspect I've kept it for the iconic cover because the music is pleasant in a mainstream kind of way but it's not a patch on the wild progressive experimentation of Focus. That's maybe a bit harsh on the band who play well and provide an excellent musical bed for Van Leer's flute.

It says a lot that the highlight is a rejigged version of Hocus Pocus, and the fact that I've sold off the rest of my Van Leer solo albums. I won't be doing that for Focus, let me tell you!

Where do they all belong? I've learnt my lesson - stick to the parent group.

No comments:

Post a Comment