Vampire Weekend Contra (CD, XL Records, 2010) ***
Genre: Indie pop, synth pop
Places I remember: Virgin Megastore (Dubai)
Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Cousins
Gear costume: White Sky
Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Cousins
Gear costume: White Sky
They loom large in his legend (The Album Collection playlists): Part 1; Part 2; Part 3; Part 4; Part 5; Part 6; Part 7; Part 8
Active compensatory factors: I bought this one on the strength of a rave review in Mojo Magazine, on a whim while living in Al Ain.
Active compensatory factors: I bought this one on the strength of a rave review in Mojo Magazine, on a whim while living in Al Ain.
Vampire Weekend is an American band (I thought they were British until I heard the album), and Contra was their second effort.
While the critics loved it, it doesn't do much for me. I think it's because it flits between a number of genres, from indie rock to ska, dancehall, and dance music. So it seems show-offy rather than substantial. On the plus side, though, the songs are joyful, summery, fun efforts.
Where do they all belong? I'm not sure where they belong actually.

No comments:
Post a Comment