Wednesday, September 11, 2024

The peacemaker (Albert Hammond) (LP 2694)

Albert Hammond  The Free Electric Band (Vinyl, Mum's Records, 1973) ***  

GenrePop 

Places I remember: Vinyl Countdown

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: The Free Electric Band

Gear costume: For The Peace Of All Mankind 

Active compensatory factors: I have a soft spot for Albert Hammond. I like his Lennon-esque voice, his delivery, his off kilter songs, his humour, and his pop nous.

He sums up those more innocent early seventies singer songwriter types for me - the ones like Gilbert O'Sullivan, Gerry Rafferty, and Leo Sayer.

Truth be told, he's more a singles guy than an album guy. The Free Electric Band song towers over this album, particularly as it takes a whole side to get to it. It's a bit of a slog.

Where do they all belong? I'd still buy his other seventies albums if I come across them in the cheap bins. Bit tragic, I realise.

No comments:

Post a Comment