Saturday, September 21, 2024

Rifferama (Hatfield and the North) (LP 2707)

Hatfield and the North   Hatfield and the North (Vinyl, Virgin Records, 1974) *** 

GenreProg rock 

Places I remember: Recent record fair in Waipukarau

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Licks For The Ladies

Gear costume: Shaving Is Boring

Active compensatory factors: I wasn't sure about buying this one during a recent record fair. I initially left it behind but thought better of it and returned to grab it.

I've read a lot about it, and listened to it on Spotify but it didn't really grab me initially and it's taking a while for it to reveal its charms (I'm not there yet).

With side one, I think I can see the intellectual appeal but so far it doesn't grab me on an emotional level. The Northettes singing doesn't really do it for me.

Side two is more like it with some Zappa-esque wacked out instrumental passages and frenetic drumming. That I like!

Where do they all belong? I'll keep listening to this, but won't be searching out any other Hatfield and the North albums. The same vendor had a few Henry Cow albums - may put my toe in the water with them instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment