Friday, September 12, 2014

From the dark end of the street to the bright side of the road (Van Morrison) #291

Van Morrison  Bright Side Of The Road/ Rolling Hills (Mercury, 6001 121, 1979)

Van is in upbeat mode here. Perky even and that's not an adjective anybody uses often where Van the man is concerned.

The song comes from his Into The Music album, but a different version is also on The Philosopher's Stone, an album of outtakes and rarities.

As I said, it's not a song I immediately think of when I'm thinking of Van but it's been featured in movies over the years, including one of my all time favourite films Fever Pitch.

It's an odd one in that it's an answer to the great soul song from 1967 (although it sounds older) The Dark End Of The Street (check the post title). I've included Ry's version as it's amazing!!




Hidden gem: Positivity continues to rule on the B side - a jaunty ditty about going across them rolling hills. Another song from Into The Music so no rarity value there.

Thought I'd provide a couple of different versions as the video this time out. Van's versions are stunning but Shakira and Jerry Garcia do different things with it that I also like.


No comments:

Post a Comment