Monday, October 18, 2021

Hard hearted Alice (Alice Cooper) (LP 730 - 731)

Alice Cooper  Muscle Of Love (Vinyl, Warner Bros. Records, 1973) *** 

Alice Cooper  Detroit Stories (Vinyl, Edel Music, 2021) *** 

GenrePop/rock 

Places I remember: Muscle Of Love is from Real Groovy Records, Detroit Stories from Vinyl Countdown.

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Teenage Lament'74.

Gear costume: Hard Hearted Alice, Rock & RollMuscle Of Love

Active compensatory factors
: Back in 1973 a friend had a copy of Muscle Of Love (at that point I only had Billion Dollar Babies and the School's Out single). I borrowed it - loved the packaging and the title track, plus Teenage Lament '74 and Hard Hearted Alice, but wasn't motivated to buy it myself. Weird.

I think it's because the other songs sounded so different to Billion Dollar Babies, which I really loved. Now I know that this last album by the original Alice Cooper band was an attempt to go back to a sound they had before School's Out, and I appreciate it a lot more in my (haha) mature years.

Luckily, I recently obtained a near mint copy from Real Groovy with all the original packaging. BTW - this brings to an end the lavish packaging that began with School's Out (a school desk) and Billion Dollar Babies (a bill fold wallet). Both of which I still have in my collection. You can take the boy out of 1973 but you can't take 1973 out of the boy.

Detroit Stories was released this year! I don't own any Alice Cooper solo albums apart from this, and I was drawn to it by the inclusion of former Alice Cooper band members on a few tracks.

It's a good album, not great, and not as good as those early seventies albums, but still worth owning. His take on Lou Reed's Rock & Roll is a high point.

Where do they all belong? And that's it for Alice. I have now written about all of the Alice Cooper albums I own from 1969 to 1973 (there and here). I don't feel particularly driven to collect any of the twenty albums he released from 1975 to 2017 but you never know - I may be tempted - maybe Welcome To My Nightmare and Goes To Hell if I see them going for a bargain price in these inflated price for vinyl times we currently live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment