Thursday, October 14, 2021

This is it (Freddie Hubbard) (LP 729)

Freddie Hubbard  Ride Like The Wind (Vinyl, Elektra Records, 1982) *** 

GenreModern jazz 

Places I remember: I bought this at Marbecks for my dad and when he passed away in 2009 I inherited his record collection.  I always remove price stickers from covers when I buy a record or a CD but he didn't bother - $10.99 apparently for this one - it's still there on the cover. Records were cheap back in 1982!

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles
Birdland 

Gear costumeRide Like The Wind

Active compensatory factors: At the time, I liked this version of Christopher Cross' Ride Like The Wind and I thought dad would like this horn driven modern jazz album too. So I bought it for him.

At the time, I'm not sure if he did like it or not but now that I look back on it, I'm not sure he would have. His collection was heavily piano jazz and swing oriented. So a trumpeter may not have been his cup of tea.

It's not really mine either. I have a few Miles Davis records but those are mostly with a famous sax player joining him at the session. Jacky hates the shrill trumpet sounds so I don't ever have much opportunity to play trumpeters, no matter how seminal they are. 

Where do they all belong? Once I clean it up a bit, it goes back into the modern jazz section. Although it plays well, for some bizarre reason side 2 has a coating of something on it which I've only just noticed. Dad was fastidious with his records, and so am I, so I have no idea what happened to this one. Maybe he did play it a lot after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment