Thursday, October 14, 2021

Here comes the morning (George Shearing) (LP 728)

George Shearing  Shearing Today! (Vinyl, Capitol Records, 1968) *** 

GenrePiano jazz 

Places I remember: My father's record collection natch.

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: By The Time I Get To Phoenix

Gear costume: I Say A Little Prayer, Morse Code

Active compensatory factors: Okay, I confess - I spent a lot of time staring at, and fantasising about the girl on the cover.

The music was okay too. I can remember listening to By The Time I Get To Phoenix a lot as a 11 or 12 year old. But then I became a teenager and this music was clearly marked 'My father's music' in my head. Teenagers can be terrible musical snobs.

I became a Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Rory Gallagher fan - i.e. rock guitars ruled! I was also a Lennon obsessive (I remember many arguments at school about how John was so clearly superior to Macca).

Anyway - fast forward 50 odd years and this one finally gets another play.

It's still not really to my taste but on a slow wet Friday morning during my holiday break from school, it sounds alright. There is something timeless about the Webb and Bacharach melodies.

Most definitely of its time, however. If there is anyone out there doing easy going jazz piano takes on 2021's favourite songs I'd be mightily surprised.

Where do they all belong? Well there's no way I'm ever going to get rid of this album is there; memories of my mum and dad are preserved within its sturdy grooves and there's always that cover!

No comments:

Post a Comment