Sunday, October 24, 2021

Feeling pretty good (Farmyard) (LP 732)

Farmyard  Back to Fronting (Vinyl, Polydor originally - reissue on Wah Wah Records, 1972) ***

GenreNZ pop/rock 

Places I remember: JB Hi Fi (Palmerston North). I have to admit I was affected by the special sticker applied to this reissue that indicates it is limited to a repress of 500 copies. Original copies will cost you something between 200 and 400 dollars so I'll stick with this version thanks - it's not THAT good.

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Too Much Wrong

Gear costume: All In Your Mind

Active compensatory factors: I don't remember Farmyard back in 1971/1972 when I was certainly a very active record buyer/listener. Mainly I guess because without a hit they flew under the radar, in that the limited outlets on NZ radio at that time weren't playing anything by them.

As they were perceived to be working the prog rock side of the road that's kinda understandable. Listening to it now I'd say it was probably more folk and country rock than anything, but whatever it was, it was clearly not pop. So - no radio. 

For the most part, these boys from Wellington have a bright and breezy sound - the flute and guitar on the Side 2 tracks Fantasia/New Road certainly create pleasant pastoral sounds - complete with seagulls and waves on a beach. Lovely.

Overall they remind me of Magna Carta - who also stray into folk/country/prog sideroads. Very rewarding!

Where do they all belong? NZ Music is world class. Do try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment