Wednesday, April 10, 2019

One unique creature (Lawrence Arabia) (LP 307

Lawrence Arabia Lawrence Arabia's Singles Club (CD - 2019) ****

Genre: NZ music

Places I remember:  JB HiFi (Palmerston North). The vinyl version was $42 and the CD one $19.99. I'm ashamed to report that I went for the cheaper version! The advantage being that I can play it a lot in the purdmobile.


Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Solitary Guys





Gear costume: One Unique Creature (at over 6 minutes, its a rare stretching out by James Milne, a.k.a. Lawrence Arabia), A Little Hate (in which LA rocks out to fine effect). 

Active compensatory factors: James Milne has put out five albums under the Lawrence Arabia tag. This is his latest.


It's gained great notices so far - my first awareness of this release came via a glowing review in Mojo magazine before I left England.

The reviews are not wrong: the tunes are Beatle influenced fer sure (check out those Beatle vocals and harmonies on Everybody Wants Something) but he has developed a distinctive kiwi take on pop confection.

There is a playfulness about his approach that I love.

Where do they all belong? The boy's on a roll! 

No comments:

Post a Comment