Sunday, April 21, 2019

The lifting (REM) (LP 309)

REM Reveal (CD - Warner Bros, 2001) ****

Genre: American pop/rock  

Places I remember: New copy for loading onto my ipod came from a charity shop in Caterham, old copy came from The Warehouse in NZ  


Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Imitation Of Life





Gear costume:  All The Way To Reno (You're Gonna Be A Star)




Active compensatory factors: My REM obsession began with Reckoning (Harborcoat kicked it all off) and ended with Up (that sounds like it should be the other way around, right?).

Reveal was billed as a return to old values - tunes! So I returned to the fold for that album. 

It has some gorgeous songs - Summer Turns To High should have been covered by The Beach Boys - instant hit! I'll Take The Rain would be another band's career highlight. The two featured tracks are hooks masquerading as songs, and the riches continue throughout the album, with electronica, by and large, integrated successfully, unlike Up.

Where do they all belong? Their last real hurrah. I didn't stick around for the last three (I get it though - why just reproduce the same sound endlessly). Maybe there's a buried treasure in there somewhere?

No comments:

Post a Comment