Thursday, April 25, 2019

The door into summer (The Monkees) (LP 310)

The Monkees Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd. (Vinyl and CD - RCA 1967) *****

Genre: American pop 

Places I remember: It's 1968 turning into 1969, I'm 11,  and I am either playing sport, reading, or glued to the TV. One show I never miss is by The Monkees - a group that makes riotous irreverent fun of things AND sing great songs. 


As a result, I have this album bought for me, my first LP, from a local shop in Three Kings, Auckland. Many years later Greg gave me his vinyl copy and I bought a CD pack of five Monkees albums from JB HiFi.

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Pleasant Valley Sunday





Gear costume: Most of the rest, although perhaps not Peter Percival Patterson's Pet Pig Porky 

Active compensatory factors: Five stars! A classic! It's a cliche, I know, but, as a pre-teen, I really did just about wear out the grooves on this album.


I'm so glad I latched on to this at a young age as it set me up for a lifelong love of pop music.

The track listing shows an embarrassment of riches - songs that have hooks AND an edge. Who else could do that in the late 60's?

It holds up too. Each time I play it, it pops!

Where do they all belong? Back in the day I would expand outward from this base camp with The Hollies, The Small Faces, and then, in 1970,  I got The Beatles Hey Jude album for Christmas and life was never the same again. But for a brief time in 1968, the world was Monkee coloured and I was a daydream believer.

No comments:

Post a Comment