Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Get it on (T Rex) (LP 311)

Various 20 Solid Gold Hits Vol II (Vinyl - Music For Leisure, 1971) ***

Genre: Compilations, but really it is its own genre in New Zealand

Places I remember: Back in 1971 - I think I got this from Woolworths in Three Kings - it was a store next to the new foodmarket; 2019 copy from Hastings second hand record shop for $15. Finding a cleanish copy has been difficult over the last few months, as it was a party album in 1971 and so was manhandled mercilessly. This is the best copy I've been able to find (so it needs a clean, but is otherwise in very good shape). 


Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Imagine - John Lennon





Gear costume: Meet Me On The Corner - Lindisfarne; Theme From "Shaft" - Isaac Hayes; Day After Day - Badfinger; Good Morning Mr Rock n' Roll - Headband. 

Active compensatory factors: This is the album that really kick started and confirmed my love for John Lennon, the solo artist. 


I'd seen him on The Ed Sullivan Show in the mid sixties, I'd gazed at his photo on the cover of Hey Jude in 1970 and I had loved this song and its affect on me beyond any other song I'd heard up to 1971. 

From here it was buying a copy of the Imagine album and then anything else he'd done.

The pleasure of this compilation was that it contained some other brilliant pop songs (see the 'Gear costume' section above), as well as a couple of good kiwi tracks from Headband and Suzanne (but also a Craig Scott song for balance).

Being a hits compilation and being the early seventies it has some bizarre people on it: for every John Lennon there is a Tom Jones, for every Badfinger and T Rex there is a Dawn and for every Isaac Hayes there is an Al Martino.

Where do they all belong? Remarkably, I didn't buy any other 20 Solid Gold Hits packages like this back in the early seventies - this volume came along at the exact right time - before I thought it was really uncool to own it and just as I needed a compilation that had on it all the songs I was listening to on the radio.

No comments:

Post a Comment