Thursday, May 9, 2019

Fall into the light (Dream Theater) (LP 313)

Dream Theater Distance Over Time (CD - Inside Out, 2019) ****

Genre: Progressive Metal 

Places I remember: Fopp (Covent Garden, London) 


Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles/Gear costume: S2N


   

Active compensatory factors: I nearly lost faith and gave up after the bloated The Astonishing album but the pre-release reviews for Distance Over Time were encouraging.


The album is a massive return to the best things about Dream Theater for my money - and that mainly centres on the guitar players in the band. John Myung's S2N showcases that - his bass and John Petrucci drive this song and it becomes an express train!

I listened to it in the car recently on a road trip and I could hardly stay in my seat. The rest of the album speeds by too.

Where do they all belong?  I sense it will rapidly become one of my favourite DT albums, along with Octavarium, Black Clouds and Silver Linings and Systematic Chaos.

No comments:

Post a Comment