Sunday, May 5, 2019

Walking and falling (Laurie Anderson) (LP 312)

Laurie Anderson Big Science (Youtube, 1982) **

Genre: American pop/rock; prog rock; avant-garde music  

Places I remember: This was a Monday Night Album Club selection for last week


Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: O Superman (For Massenet)





Gear costume Let x=x/It Tango

Active compensatory factors: I can distinctly remember watching Radio With Pictures (a music show on NZ TV) back in the early eighties and Karen Hay introduced O Superman.


Given I was at University at the time, and loving the poetry of Americans like Robert Bly and John Giorno, it (the song and video) certainly left an impression but not enough of one for me to actually buy the parent album. 

Listening to the whole thing now hasn't made me regret that decision.

The often repetitious ambient electronica approach is fine as a mantra over the spoken poetic style delivery of Anderson and her delivery is pleasing to listen to but ultimately I'm with George Harrison (who also made an electronic album - Electronic Sound) who quipped that avant-garde was short for avant garde a clue.

It's all okay as an interesting intellectual exercise and so becomes more of a cerebral experience than a rock 'n' roll heart one. So, not one I'll be thinking I need to listen to again.

Where do they all belong? She would go on to become Mrs Lou Reed and deliver some other albums that also never found their ways into my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment