Wednesday, September 6, 2023

In transit (Family Cactus) (LP 2031-2032)

Family Cactus  Gone Howling (CD, Sony Music, 2009) ****  

Family Cactus  Spirit Lights (CD, Sony Music, 2011) ****  

Genre: NZ music, indie-pop/rock

Places I remember: Slow Boat Records (Wellington)

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Fields and Fields (Spirit Lights)

Gear costume: Whole and Red (Spirit Lights)

Active compensatory factors
: I caught a glimpse of Family Cactus somehow - I've forgotten where - TV I think. It was that Fields And Fields clip above. And I instantly loved their Radiohead inspired indie-pop (think The Bends/OK Computer era). Sounds very much like Radiohead inspired both vocals and the music.

There is a lovely hometown, do-it-yourself style vibe going on here. Check out that video! Perfect.

Those fluid drums, the male/female harmonies, the exploratory guitar and that Radiohead inspiration all add up to an interesting sound.

Both albums work well. Debut Gone Howling is rockier, harder sounding and not as lush musically as Spirit Lights, but it's great in its own right. Some days I prefer one, t'other days I prefer t'other. That's just the way I roll.


Where do they all belong? In the Wellington indie-pop hall of fame.

No comments:

Post a Comment