Sunday, September 24, 2023

Can't let go (Lucinda Williams) (LP 2043)

Lucinda Williams  Car Wheels On A Gravel Road   (CD, Mercury Records, 1998) ****  

Genre: Country

Places I remember: Gift from Shona Walding's collection

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Right In Time

Gear costume: Jackson

Active compensatory factors: Lucinda Williams is a real one off - even in the over crowded female country genre. I think her authenticity has a lot to do with that. When she sings/writes you believe her, unlike a lot of Nashville colour-by-numbers country singer songwriters.

That first song sets down the marker and she doesn't let up the down home intensity throughout the album.

Where do they all belong? A highlight of the country section - my only Lucinda Williams album though. I wouldn't own it if not for Terese handing me a few boxes of CDs that her sister owned. This one's a gem. Thanks TW.

No comments:

Post a Comment