Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Summer breezin' (George Duke) (LP 790)

George Duke  A Brazilian Love Affair (CD, Epic Records, 1980) *** 

GenreJazz fusion 

Places I remember: Real Groovy Records

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Brazilian Sugar

Gear costume: Up From The Sea It Arose And Ate Rio In One Swift Bite 

Active compensatory factors: I have a soft spot for George Duke as I'm sure I've mentioned before. His time with Zappa left a lasting impression on me.

His solo output is definitely different to his Zappa years and I guess I shouldn't expect Zappa's genius to extend to people who have been in his bands. I'm a slow learner sometimes.

This is by no means a bad album - those criss crossing Brazilian rhythms provide inside fun and the experiment is a qualified success.

Where do they all belong? I think I've stopped automatically collecting albums by George. I'll now stick to the wonderful things he contributed to the Zappa band.

No comments:

Post a Comment