Saturday, January 1, 2022

Black man in a white world (Michael Kiwanuka) (LP 779)

Michael Kiwanuka  Love & Hate (CD, Polydor, 2016) ****

GenreSoul 

Places I remember: HMV East Croyden

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: One More Night

Gear costume: Black Man In A White World

Active compensatory factors: I bought this album because of itscritical acclaim and I haven't played it too many times. I like the opening couple of songs but the tension set up in them kind of dissipates for me - although mid way through comes One More Night - a stunning song.

For me, this feels like an album I should like a lot, but somehow I end up finishing the album still thinking that, rather than being stunned by it.

Michael has a great voice though and I'll persist with this - I feel a breakthrough is within me, but I ain't there yet.

Where do they all belong? I haven't been tempted to try any other albums by him yet, so this remains a one-off.

No comments:

Post a Comment