Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Yin-yang (John Lee) (LP 528 - 530)

The Eleventh House featuring Larry Coryell Level One (Vinyl, Arista Records, 1975) *****

The Eleventh House featuring Larry Coryell Aspects (Vinyl, Arista Records, 1976) ***

Coryell/Mouzon Back Together Again (Vinyl, Atlantic Records, 1977) ****

GenreJazz fusion 

Places I remember: Real Groovy Records (Auckland)

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Rock and Roll Lovers (Back Together Again)

Gear costume: Nyctaphobia (Level One)

Active compensatory factors
: I like my jazz fusion with a beat that is inventive but also one that I can understand and Alphonse Mouzon fits the bill. He is an amazing drummer. 

Larry Coryell is like John McLaughlin - a whirlwind on guitar.

What I like about these albums is the way all the musicians blend and give room to each other. The Other Side (on Level One) is a great example.

If you want to pick one of these to launch into, I'd recommend Level One. It feels like five albums' highlights compressed into one, with brilliant and inspired playing throughout.

Where do they all belong? Next up in the vinyl fusion department is Deodato.

No comments:

Post a Comment