Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Give it one (Maynard Ferguson) (LP 527)

Maynard Ferguson M.F. Horn Two (Vinyl, CBS Records, 1972) ***

Genre: Big Band Jazz 

Places I remember: A Country Traders second hand shop in Palmerston North 

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Mother (Yes - the John Lennon song is given a lively rendition by a jazz trumpeter - go figure, somehow it really works!)

Gear costume: Spinning Wheel (Yes - the Blood Sweat and Tears song) 

Active compensatory factors: I came across this mint copy amongst the usual dross in a second hand furniture shop on the outskirts of Palmerston North a few years ago.

I knew of Canadian trumpeter Maynard Ferguson but what really sold me was the cheap as chips price for a mint copy, the choice of cover songs (as well as the two named above, Maynard has a turn at Hey Jude, Theme From "Shaft", and Country Road) and the fact that this was recorded in 1972. Maybe the best year for my type of music, ever!

It doesn't really disappoint, goes without saying that the players are stellar musicians, but I'm not a huge fan of the trumpet (Jacky can't stand it), and there are FIVE other trumpeters on this album APART FROM Maynard! So, it doesn't get a lot of listens outside of ARF (Abbey Road Five, a.k.a the Shack, a.k.a. the vault).

Where do they all belong? Although I enjoy this album, I'm not searching for M.F. Horn One etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment