Saturday, December 26, 2020

It must be a camel (Frank Zappa) (LP 525)

Frank Zappa Hot Rats (Cassette Tape, Vinyl and CD, Zappa Records and Ryko, 1968) ***** 

GenreAlternative rock (but really Zappa is a genre unto himself) 

Places I remember: The cassette version came first, from my cousin Christine in the UK during the mid seventies, Vinyl reissue from JB Hi Fi in Palmerston North this year, CD from Real Groovy in between times.

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Willie The Pimp (Beefheart lifts it to another level)

Gear costume: Son Of Mr. Green Genes

Active compensatory factors: Zappa called this a 'movie for the ears' on the sleeve and that's a good description of how this oral feast plays out.

I've written about it on Goo Goo previously and I won't add too much more here, aside from saying I still play this album regularly and I still hear new things every time.

If you haven't yet experienced Hot Rats, and you're maybe a little put off by Zappa's scatological approach at times, try it. You'll love it!

I especially recommend the reissue on pristine vinyl with all the original album art. It's beautiful!

Where do they all belong? Relax, there are many more Zappa albums to come in this countdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment