Sunday, May 1, 2016

High time we made a stand and shook up the views of the common man (Tears For Fears) #556 - 562

THIS IS THE END, MY ONLY FRIEND...THE END

Tears For Fears Shout (remix)/ Shout/ The Big Chair (Mercury 12", 1984)
Tears For Fears  Mothers Talk (long version)/ The Marauders/ The Beat Of The Drum/ The Way You are/ Mothers Talk (short version) (Mercury 12", 1984)
Tears For Fears Everybody Wants To Rule The World (long version)/ Everybody Wants To Rule The World/ Pharaohs (Mercury 12", 1985)
Tears For Fears Broken; Head Over Heels; Broken (remix)/ Head Over Heels/ When In Love With A Blind Man (Mercury 12", 1985)
Tears For Fears I Believe (A Soulful Re-Recording)/ Shout (dub)/ Sea Song/ Shout (remix) (Mercury 12", 1985)
Tears For Fears  Sowing The Seeds Of Love/ Tears Roll Down/ Shout (remix) (Mercury 12", 1989)
Tears For Fears My Girls/ Ready To Start/ And I Was A Boy From School (INGrooves 10", 2014)

The final entry in my singles collection countdown (yes, 562 of them!) is a catch up entry. 

As I've been counting the singles down I acquired these beauties by Tears For Fears from Slow Boat Records in Wellington. Someone down there was obviously having a clear out of their old vinyl, and I snapped them up!

The A sides range from 1984 to 2014 and the quality is remarkably consistent.

The songs should be very familiar to the blogosphere - is there anybody out there who doesn't know Shout?, Everybody Wants To Rule The World?

I love those songs but they are trumped by Sowing The Seeds. It may be the celebration of all the Beatle influences in one song, not sure, but it is one amazing singalong - best in the Purdmobile as I'm pootling to work.

The 2014 comeback was lead by the My Girls EP (10" vinyl - it tied in with Record Store Day). All three songs are covers. 

My Girls came from Animal Collective. Great to have the men in paisley back!

Hidden gems: Hmmm - as y'all know I'm not a huge remix fan and I really really don't like/get Dub versions so a mixed bag on the B sides in that regard.

Of the actual songs - Tears For Fears always maintain a high quality control. Tears Roll Down is my pick of that bunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment