Saturday, May 28, 2016

The rocky road to Dublin (The Chieftains) (LP 8)

The Chieftains  The Long Black Veil (CD - BMG Music, 1995) ***

Genre: Folk 


Places I remember: Real Groovy sale bin, Auckland.  


Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Have I Told You Lately That I Love You? with Van Morrison on vocals is a real highlight...


Gear costume: ...but there are other fine moments, like The Lily Of The West with Mark Knopfler and Coast Of Malabar with Ry Cooder.

Active compensatory factors: Each track features a different famous vocalist: Mick Jagger, Sting, Tom Jones, Marianne Faithfull and Sinead O'Connor also contribute their talents.  

I do applaud the intention and idea although having a different vocalist for each song can result in a wide quality gap (hence the three star rating). For instance, I love Marianne Faithfull generally but here it feels like a mismatch of styles. And I'm not a Sinaed O'Connor fan at all so I fast forward through her two tracks. 

Where do they all belong? I'm not a huge fan of Irish folk music so there aren't  many other records in my collection like this apart from Clannad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment