Thursday, July 10, 2014

The angels watch my every move (Lene Lovick) #242

Lene Lovich  Angels/ The Fly (Stiff Records, BUY 63, 1979)

Lene was part of the English new wave scene in the late seventies, early eighties. Her big hit was Lucky Number, which I don't have. 

Instead for some reason lost to the sands through an hourglass I own a copy of a single from her Flex album. Go figure.

I'm pretty sure it was the Patti Smithesque vocal mannerisms that I was interested in. Lene's vocal style certainly contains similar punkish quirkiness.

It's a nifty little pop number with a good hook but it's never going to go down in the history of rock as a landmark achievement. Which is fine.



Hidden gem:Also from the parent Flex album The Fly is a kind of instrumental pop song with those new wave synths like Ultravox et al. 

It's a nice pleasant song, good for the new wave disco dance floor and those eighties amateur hair and model shows we used to be involved in back in the day. I was often asked to supply music for said events and I'm sure I used The Fly at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment