Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Sunlight filters through - I feel my head is drifting (Fourmyula)

  1. The Exponents – Like She Said (1994)/ Nameless Girl (1992)
  2. Blerta - Dance All Around The World (1972)/ Joy Joy (1972)
  3. Dragon Young Years (1989)/ Rain (1984)
  4. John Hanlon - Higher Trails (1975)/ Wind Songs (1975)
  5. Crowded House - Private Universe (1994)/ Weather With You (1991)
  6. Split Enz - Six Months In A Leaky Boat  (1982)/ Split Ends - One Two Nine (1973)
  7. Max Merritt and The Meteors - Slippin’ Away (1976)/ Let it Slide (1976)
  8. Headband - The Laws Must Change (1971)/ Good Morning Mr Rock N Roll (1971)
  9. Citizen Band - My Pohutakawa (1978)/ The Ladder Song (1978)
  10. Fourmyula - Nature (1969)/ Lady Scorpio (1969)
Tenth and final entry in the Wozza countdown of the 10 best Nu Zild bands and their two best songs is the song widely acclaimed to be the best NZ song OF ALL TIME.





It's a song that has always been part of my consciousness. Prior to 1969 I was aware of music sure (Beatles on Ed Sullivan; Radio Hauraki; my parents' jazz collection) but I was not aware of any indigenous NZ music. I loved Dinah Lee’s song Do The Blue Beat in 1964 but I had no idea she was a kiwi.

The Fourmyula changed all that with a song so good it has eclipsed everything else they did. Even knowledgeable music lovers would be hard pressed to name another of their songs. It’s not so much that they were one hit wonders – more that the song has since taken on a load of additional cultural baggage that has given it a life of its own.

This ends my run down on some of  my favourite kiwi music moments. There is nothing that compares to the music of your youth and I was fortunate to grow up in NZ. My ears slowly become accepting of the local music – for my money – a lot of it was far superior to much of the pop pap I was hearing on the radio.

Some other great bands could have made this list as they were also a huge part of this fabric:
  • Hello Sailor
  • Th’ Dudes
  • The Datsuns
  • Herbs
  • Muttonbirds
  • Zed
  • Swingers
  • Supergroove
  • Phoenix Foundation
New NZ bands keep coming and keep adding to a rich history. Next post – a recent discovery of just such a group – Family Cactus.

No comments:

Post a Comment