Sunday, February 11, 2024

Superstrut (Deodato) (LP 2364 -2365)

Deodato  Artistry (Vinyl, MCA Records, 1974) **  

Deodato  First Cuckoo (Vinyl, Astor Records, 1975) ***  

Genrejazz rock 

Places I remember: Electric City Music (Napier)

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Black Dog (First Cuckoo)

Gear costume: Funk Yourself (First Cuckoo) 

Active compensatory factors
: I still have no idea why I continue to buy albums by Deodato. He holds some kind of lingering appeal. 

There's the cool electric piano, the gentle sway of his playing and the side men like John Tropea, Steve Gadd, Lou Marini, Hugh McCracken, Hubert Laws and others. But I could easily pass up these albums. And yet I don't. Curious.

Artistry is a live album and a polite one at that. Nothing much going on and I'll probably never listen to it again. The cover image is even a meh expression by Deodato. A weird image for a live album.

First Cuckoo is better but still not essential. The version of Black Dog is interesting (it's hilariously credited on the cover to Gene Paige, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones).

The final track, the title track, is all strings. I'm not a fan!

Where do they all belong? I dare say these won't be the last Deodato albums I buy, but that's it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment