Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Lions (Dire Straits) (LP 2388 - 2389)

Dire Straits  Live At The BBC (CD, Vertigo Records, 1995) ****  

Dire Straits  Making Movies (CD, Mercury Records, 1980) **** 

Genre: Pop rock

Places I remember: The Warehouse in Cambridge for the BBC one, Fives in Leigh-on-sea for Making Movies

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Solid Rock

Gear costume: Sultans Of Swing

Active compensatory factors
: These are the only Dire Straits albums I own, because I've never been a fan of Mark Knopfler's band and the only reason I own Making Movies is my school mate, G Knowles esq, was a huge fan who tried hard to get me interested in them (he still does actually - a recent weekly choice of his was a Knopfler solo album).

When he played the album to me back in 1980, I enjoyed most of the rock songs (hated the last track, Les boys, and still do). So, for nostalgic reasons, I decided to grab a copy when I lived in England.

A few years later I also bought the Live at The BBC CD. Mainly because I was keen to hear more stripped down, comparatively raw versions of things from their early days.

That strategy worked - it's really good to hear the band before they became mega. Mark's stage introductions lend a much needed human element to DS proceedings. It's from a 1978 concert.

Where do they all belong? All good, but I have zero inclination to go beyond these albums in their catalogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment