Sunday, January 14, 2024

Things are gonna change (Ray Davies) (LP 2282 - 2283)

Ray Davies  Other People's Lives (CD, V2 Records, 2006) ****  

Ray Davies  Americana (CD, Legacy Records, 2017) ****  

GenrePop rock 

Places I remember: Slow Boat Records; JB Hi Fi

Fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles: Next Door Neighbour (Other People's Lives)

Gear costume: Other People's Lives; The Deal (Americana)

Active compensatory factors
: Ray was 62 when he released his first proper solo album - Other People's Lives. A great title - he is a brilliant observer of other people - not so much his own life. So, go with your strengths I always say!

Next Door Neighbour is a good example of Ray's observational style and the music is almost music hall. I like it!

Although it came out in 2006, this album could have come out in any year since the Kinks called it a day in 1993. Were discos (All She Wrote) still a thing in 2006?

Americana celebrates his love for things American. I like that. I grew up on American culture in NZ so I get his fascination. Cowboys and the ideal of rambling in America really appeal to me too.

So, two fine solo albums - well worth your time!

Where do they all belong? I've only got the two solo albums. Both are good, but I don't have any great desire to collect his other ones, instead my energies have gone into collecting Kinks albums.

No comments:

Post a Comment